Spring has arrived in the Northern Hemisphere and its that time of the year when a variety of berries have started appearing in the shops. I really enjoy the different colours of berries that are available. Each berry whether its a blueberry, strawberry or a raspberry are delightful on its own and also bring a different dimension when you cook with them. In this recipe I use raspberries that are known for their sharp and sweet taste. Raspberries are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants and a good addition towards your five a day. I actually don’t like eating raspberries on their own so this recipe is a good way to eat and enjoy them too!
What you will need (for 2-3 people)
- 1/2 cup of self raising gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 2 tbsp of desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp of coconut sugar (use normal sugar if you wish)
- 300-400 ml of Almond milk (use regular milk if you have dairy)
- 150 g of ripe raspberries
- 1 tbsp of coconut butter (optional), add some oil if you don’t have coconut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp of vanilla essence
- Pure Maple syrup / honey/ agave nectar for drizzling over the pancakes
- Coconut oil for frying
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
- Blend 100 g of raspberries to make a puree. Leave around 10 berries for decoration purposes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients well with a whisk to form a smooth batter. The batter should be thin but not runny so that the pancakes hold the shape. Add the raspberry puree to the batter and mix it well. The batter should now look pale pink in colour.
- Heat a pan with some coconut oil. Take a round serving spoon to take out the batter and then spread it on the pan. As these pancakes are round and thick make sure you don’t spread them out very thinly. Lower the flame and let the pancake cook for 2 minutes on each side. Flip them over to cook the other side. By now they should be firm and hold their shape. If you want you can top them with some fresh raspberry pieces when cooking.
- Repeat the same process until you have enough pancakes.
- Stack 4 pancakes and drizzle some maple syrup on the top. Add the remaining fresh berries on the top to create a Wow effect.
Hope you enjoy them and let me know how it goes!
Till the next time, ciao!