When you are an experimental cook you must be prepared for something exceptional – in a good or not so good way. This weekend I tried a simple experiment with this stir fry and it came out pretty well. So here I am sharing it with you.
If you have washed spinach and fried onions in your kitchen this can be made in less than 20 minutes. Great source of vitamins and minerals and can be cooked on those busy days or evenings when you want something quick but still delicious.
What you will need (for 2 people):
- 500 gms of spinach (washed and cut)
- 100 gms of peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 4 tbsp of fried onions (if you are using fresh onions then 2-3 small onions fried in ghee / oil on slow flame till they are crispy and then placed on a kitchen towel to soak excess oil)
- 1 tbsp of coriander powder
- Desiccated coconut – 2 tbsp
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil to fry – I used coconut oil to enhance the flavour of the coconut
- Lemon juice (as much you wish)
- Prepare all your ingredients including the fried onions.
- Heat some oil in the pan (about 1 tbsp) and once its hot add the garlic and then spinach to it. Sprinkle some salt and put a lid on the pan for the spinach to wilt and leave water. Add the peas before closing the lid. Once the water comes out of the spinach and they are wilted, add the chili powder and the coriander powder to it. Add the desiccated coconut and the salt. Leave it to cook for a further few minutes.
- Once all ingredients are soft and the spinach is mushy, add the fried onions to it and mix it well. Leave it on the hob for 2-3 minutes and then switch off the hob.
- Top it up with some lemon juice and some desiccated coconut.
- Your spinach and peas stir fry is ready.
Hope you like this recipe and are tempted to try it out. Till the next time, Ciao!